Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Lebanese Mjudra

from Laura Sawaya

Syrian Bread (flat bread)
2 ¼ cups warm water
2 T. shortening, melted
1 T. yeast
1 T. sugar
1 T. salt
2 cups wheat flour
3 cups white flour

Let raise. Knock down and form balls. Roll out balls of dough until flat. Broil in oven until baked, flipping half way through.

Note from Steve’s sister: As for the bread; I was surprised to note that if my flatbread was too crunchy instead of soft it was because I did not add enough flour, not because there was too much flour. I make my dough really sticky and then when I am rolling it out work in a lot of flour until I can handle the dough without it sticking to things. Also, just FYI; Liz and I have different bread recipes. Mine calls for 2 cups wheat flour, 2 cups white flour. Hers calls for 2 cups wheat, 3 cups white, which might explain why my bread was so crunchy to begin with. I have done a lot of experimenting, and you can make the bread with as much wheat or white as you would like. My favorite is 3 cups wheat, 1 cup white. All wheat makes a yummy, nutty tasting bread but it is not very good the next day. Everyone I have ever taught to make the bread eventually use a cookie sheet to cook the bread on because it bothers them to have a pile of flour in the bottom of the oven to vacuum out when they are done.

Tabouli
Cut into small pieces: parsley
  Lettuce
  Tomatoes
  Green onion

Dressing: 2/3 cup lemon juice
 2 t. salt
 ½ t. pepper
 1/3 – 2/3 cup vegetable oil

Mix all ingredients in large bowl. Can add bulgar wheat.

Mjudra
6 cups water brought to boil
Add: 2 t. salt
 1 cup lentils
Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes
Add: 1 large onion, chopped
 ½ cup rice
Simmer another 25 minutes (covered). Add pepper to taste after cooking is done.

Tsatziki sauce (yogurt dipping sauce)
2 cups plain yogurt
1 cucumber; peeled, grated and drained
1 clove pressed garlic
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Homus recipe:
2 cups cooked chick peas
1 Tbsp tahini
1 whole pressed garlic (no joking)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
salt and pepper

Souvlaki
2 lbs chicken
5 cloves chopped garlic
1 Tbsp oregano
olive oil

stir fry until cooked, add salt and pepper and lemon juice.

No comments: