Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Whole30 "Truffles"

Ok, when I (Jenni) made these I kind of used both of these recipes.  I soaked the dates in warm water. Then dried them, added coconut butter, coconut flour, chocolate powder, salt, vanilla, and mint. These were AMAZING!  And of course, I didn't measure anything...

I can use about 12 dates in my food processor.  I buy big containers of them from Sam's Club.  I'm not sure if you need coconut butter.  I think I could probably use coconut oil and a little more coconut flour to get the same texture.

We've tried: orange, mint, & imitation almond (not real almond, actually peach pits - so I can have it!).  I always add vanilla with the flavors.  I have rolled them in unsweetened coconut but Jake prefers when I roll them in cocoa nibs.  They add a little crunch without being too bitter.  I usually end up with 12ish truffles.  We like to eat ~3 a night.

We still want to try cinnamon/nutmeg, lemon, pumpkin spice, and maybe even almond/flax seed (to give it more of a nutty flavor).  I just grab a bunch of baking extracts to play with.

If you are rolling them and they are sticking to your hands like crazy then you need more coconut flour.  If they are crumbly and not sticking together at all you can try adding a little water until it's a dough.  I like to freeze them - mostly so I have to plan ahead to let them thaw out - not just eat whenever I feel like it.


INNER GODDESS CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES
Author: 
Serves: 18-24 truffles - nutritional information is for 1 truffle when making 18
INGREDIENTS
  • 14 medjool dates, pitted
  • ½ cup nuts (any kind - I like to use pecans)
  • ¾ cup almond meal (or any other finely ground nuts)
  • ¼ cup cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt (more to taste)
  • cocoa, sprinkles, and flaked coconut for topping

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Soak the dates in hot water for a few minutes to soften. Drain and squeeze out excess water.
  2. Pulse the nuts, nut meal, and cocoa in a food processor until finely ground. Add the dates, vanilla and sea salt and pulse until a thick, sticky dough ball forms. Remove the dough ball from the food processor - taste and add any salt or other flavors you want (like peppermint extract around the holidays - yummay).
  3. Roll the dough into small balls - you should be able to get 18-24. Roll the balls in toppings of your choice like cocoa powder, chocolate sprinkles, or flaked coconut, or you can just leave them without any toppings for a not-super-cute-but-still-tastes-good snack. Place on a baking sheet and store in the freezer until they are hard enough not to stick together. Transfer to an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator or freezer.
http://pinchofyum.com/inner-goddess-chocolate-truffles




Author: Seasonal and Savory
Recipe type: Candy

Prep time: 20 mins

Total time: 20 mins

Serves: 20

Ingredients
3/4 cup coconut butter
3/4 cup almond butter
3-4 tablespoons cocoa powder, depending on how strong you want the chocolate flavor
8-10 pitted dates
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
cocoa powder, to roll the truffles

Instructions
Place the coconut butter, almond butter, cocoa powder, dates, salt, and cinnamon in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is well blended and begins to form into a ball.
Roll the truffle mixture into small balls and roll each ball in a little cocoa powder. Refrigerate the truffles until firm. I store these in the fridge but pull them out about ten minutes before we want to eat them. Makes about 20.

- See more at: http://www.seasonalandsavory.com/2014/04/whole30-day-15.html#sthash.gvHEjOxp.dpuf

No comments: